3.07.2011

This Lenten Season

When it comes to Lent, I’ve really swayed back and forth in the last ten years. It’s been pretty typical for me to give up something for Lent. For example:
·      Stop biting my nails
·      No pop
·      No beer
·      No meat
·      Working out more

These are all good things but they really sound more like New Year’s Resolutions. When I was tempted to drink a Diet Coke, I didn’t think about Jesus. And isn’t that the point?

This year, I’d like to do something more because that’s one relationship that I’d like to improve in my life. I want to do something that will bring me closer and will be more meaningful to that relationship. Here are my ideas so far:
·      Go to church each week
·      Volunteer more
·      Pray daily
·      Do a daily devotional
·      Read a few books about being a Christian (I’m currently reading Blue Like Jazz)
·      If I were really ambitious, I could think of 40 special things to do each day (i.e. pray for someone, call someone, volunteer, go to church, etc.)

Is there something that you typically do for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment