6.20.2011

List Girl.

I'm a list girl and I always have been. When I was a little girl and my mom worked nights, she would write lists for me on my white board, i.e. empty the dishwasher, fold the laundry, make the list for the milkman (yes, we had a milkman.) Now, I make lists of groceries, things to do over the summer, games to play at sister-in-law's baby shower, and of course a bucket list.

They help me to stay organized, but they also help motivate me to get things done I might not otherwise do. I was recently reading a blog post by Donald Miller (a recent favorite author - I'd highly recommend Blue Like Jazz or A Million Miles in a Thousand Years) that was all about lists. His wife-to-be had been looking back in her journal and found a list she had made of qualities she wanted in a future husband. She shared this list with Donald and he is inspired by the list - he wants to be this man.

I've had my future husband list for awhile, but after reading her's, I think mine is a little too specific. For example:
  • Loves the holidays
  • Is a handyman
  • Likes to play board games
  • Recycles
  • Likes to try (and cook!) ethnic food
  • Loves musicians like Amos Lee, Mumford & Sons and the Beatles. But can also appreciate a little country
  • Will drive my car when I don't want to
Now, those are fun things to dream about, but do they define a good husband? I think that if my list is too specific, I'll be setting my hopes on someone who may not even exist. Relationships are all about compromise, including my "list." I think I need to focus on a list that looks more like this:
  • Values tradition
  • Likes to try new things
  • Loves his family and mine
  • Cares about his community
  • Puts me above anyone else
  • Believes in God and wants to share those beliefs
  • Listens and shares
  • Loyal
  • Has ambition
  • Shows his love in the way I need it
An insert in church advised those who are single to aim for a healthy balance of taking risks and putting yourself out there, yet ultimately trust in God's timing and provision.  And I'm going to try my hardest to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment