As I have been piecing together my costume for this year, I’m been thinking fondly about past costumes. When I was little, my mom sewed most of my costumes. Of course, at the time I really REALLY wanted the costume from Party City or Target that looked EXACTLY like Belle, Jasmine, Ariel and Dorothy. But thinking back, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’m impressed that my mom was able to take my weird requests (see Kindergarten and 2nd grade) and do her magic on the sewing machine and serger. I hope that some day when I have kids of my own my mom will help me make their costumes.
Here are some of my costumes from throughout the years (you make your own decision if it was good, bad or ugly):
Toddler Years: A pink bunny rabbit, equipped with stuffed carrots.
Preschool Years: The cutest little devil on the block.
Kindergarten: Casper the Friendly Ghost
1st Grade: Can't remember this one, but it may have been a repeat from another year. I did that more than once growing up.
2nd Grade: Pilgrim. And yes, my mom made me pull it out and wear it again on Thanksgiving.
3rd Grade: Princess. Despite my efforts to be a DISNEY princess, those are hard to sew. But boy was that pink satin and glued-on jewels fancy!
4th Grade: Jester/Clown – a handmade hand-me-down from my brother.
5th Grade: Cavegirl – my best friend was Pebbles (with a real dog bone in her hair) and I wore that wonderfully-disgusting fake fur.
6th Grade: 50s girl with a poodle skirt.
7th-11th grade was pretty much a blur – I don’t think I really dressed up as anything worth mentioning.
12th Grade: A cowgirl
Freshman: Sorceress? I didn’t really have an exact costume, I just wore this maroon cloak. Not too creative. . . but I did experience a Madison Halloween!
Sophomore: Betty from the Flinstones. Mo was Wilma and Davey was Barney Rubble.
Junior: Baseball player. I had to work with what I had in my suitcase while studying abroad in London.
Senior: Three costumes: At school I was a Saint Mary’s Orientation Leader, at the Catholic Worker House party I was a nerd (equipped with toilet paper stuck to my feet, tape-wrapped glasses and suspenders), and a Bar Wench at a party I attended.
While living in Colorado: I was Juno while at work and a Flapper for a party I attended. Too bad so few customers had actually seen Juno – I think they thought I was a poor pregnant girl working as a sample lady.
Last year: Peter Pan – one of my favorite costumes to date. I even had a glow-in-the-dark dagger!
And my list of costumes that I’d love to be some day:
Dorothy (even though the Wizard of Oz is my all-time favorite movie, I’ve still never gone as her for Halloween).
Rosie the Riveter – such a cute and simple costume.
Pippy Longstocking – maybe some day I’ll have hair long enough to pull off the braids!

No comments:
Post a Comment