On Sunday, my dad came over to start the garden with me. We worked for about 5 hours – digging up old plants, laying brick to keep the bunnies out, tearing up and re-placing sod, setting up a fence and cleaning up more of the yard.
It was actually really fun working with my dad on the project. He is so knowledgable about gardening and is so eager to share. I assumed he would be very set in his ways, but, surprisingly, he wasn't! For example: he's always used chicken wire around his garden. Menards was sold out, so we bought heavy-duty plastic poultry fencing. It is green and looks quite nice - my dad said he might try it out next year. He was sharing all of his tips of the trade, asking me how I wanted to do things in the garden, and was even giving me some of his hand-me-down tools. It brought back fun memories of planting seeds in my dad's garden was I was little. Definitely some good Daddy-daughter bonding time.
We still have some more tilling to do, but then we will be ready to plant in about two weeks. Here's a starting photo of the big garden (about 2' by 30') and then another small one by the house. See the starting photos:
The best/funniest part of the day: at one point in the afternoon, I pointed out the chipmunk that has been hanging out in our gutter. The little guy just sat there, staring me down.
Me: "Look, Dad! There's the little thing that's been hanging out in our yard!"
Dad: "Get the hatchet."
Me: "What??"
Dad: "Just let me try something."
I get the hatchet. The chipmunk then stares down my dad. Just like Mel Gibson in the Patriot, my dad FLINGS the hatchet through my backyard (about 25 feet) and misses the chipmunk by a few feet. The chipmunk probably chuckled at us, right before he scurried into a hole into the HOUSE.
Dad: "Damn!"
Me: "Dad! You can't do that! I live in the city!"
Dad: "It's fine. Remind me when I see you next - I'll lend you the live trap. Just put a little peanut butter in there, catch him, then set him free out by the State Fair or something."
We'll meet again, chipmunk.
Wow. How is he at catching raccoons?
ReplyDelete