Remember that great green fencing that I wrote about in my last post? Well, I quickly found out that rabbits can chew through it. Rewind to a few days ago:
I was very proud of our backyard garden and telling many friends and co-workers about it. Looking forward to planting the seeds, watering when I got home from work, and yes - weeding. I got home from work one day and saw a rather large rabbit sitting in the garden. I said to the rabbit, "Rabbit! What are you doing in there?? Get out!"
2 things wrong with this situation: 1)The rabbit was hanging out in a vegetable-less garden; 2)I was yelling at the rabbit - and not in my head.
Anyways, I wasn't too surprised to see him in there because there was still a hole left underneath the chain-link fence. My dad was cutting a brick to better fit in there (to finish our "retaining wall.") So I thought to myself, "ok, this shouldn't be a problem once my dad gets the brick in there."
Fast forward to a few hours later. I decided to continue to till the garden while Chad was firing up the grill for dinner. That's when I noticed it. The stupid rabbit had chewed through the fencing - in the shape of an arch! ARE YOU SERIOUS??! I was NOT happy. I called my dad and he said he'd help me get some metal chicken wire up. But I couldn't stop thinking about it. I worried all night long, thinking that I wouldn't be a successful gardener if I couldn't even keep a dumb rabbit out. I said to Chad - "Why didn't they just go around?" His response - "Well that's out of the question. You've gotta get inside the rabbit's head! He clearly just wanted the quickest route possible."
Rabbit, it's on. Watch out for this girl - she just might have to get ruthless.
For what it's worth, city critters are ruthless. Consider yourself warned...
ReplyDeletehttp://liveinsidemybubble.blogspot.com/2009/04/animal-farm.html