Tonight I decided to watch one of my favorite movies, The Sound of Music. It's been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl – and for many reasons. Mostly, because of the stories my mom would tell about her travels in Europe whenever we watched it. She'd always say things like, "It looks JUST like that in Austria," and, "Some day we'll go there together."
When I was younger, I didn't fully appreciate the movie. I loved the songs (especially the yodeling puppet show) and I would go back to the piano and teach myself to play Do-Re-Mi. But now, I see beyond that. I understand the politics, the love story, the beauty of where they are living.
Over ten years ago, probably when we were watching this movie and talking about backpacking around Europe, my mom and I made a pact to spend my 25th birthday in Europe together. Specifically, in Grindelwald, Switzerland, because that is where she celebrated her 25th. We have decided to travel around Switzerland and into Austria and Germany.
Thanks, Mom, for keeping me dreaming. Dream it, do it. May 2011 can't come soon enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment